Emanuel Ringers

The Emanuel Ringers is part of the music ministry from Emanuel Lutheran Church in Pleasantville, New York. This handbell group is comprised of ringers ranging from 8 and up. We ring on 5 octaves of Schulmerich handbells and 7 octaves of Malmark handchimes. We welcome all who want to learn how to ring, you do not have to be a member of the church to participate. Contact Eiko at emanuelringers@gmail.com for more information about our Music Ministry at Emanuel

Thursday, August 9, 2018

DAY 16 (CAIRNS) We played our solo piece





DAY 16 (CAIRNS)



Today we had our first workshops. At the workshops we choose different activities that may or may not be related to handbells. It can be learning about a different culture or about learning different handbell techniques. I chose workshop called Chinese knot ornaments.
However today was a much more important day to us. Today was the day of our solo piece.
After morning practices we practiced our solo piece. We squeezed in any practice time we could find.
Before the concert we were all nervous since the really good japanese choir as well as the Hong Kong choir was playing the same day as us. (And when I say good I mean good to the point where they practice 9 hours a week).
But I knew we would rock it.
We spent hours practicing and worked hard to get this piece to where it is now. We practiced it to the best of our abilities and we played at our best. It wasn’t about which choir was the best. What matters is how much we put into the music. After playing our solo piece, I think it was the best that we have ever played.
Since I am a senior, today was the last day I would probably ever play a solo piece at a international symposium. I am so grateful for the handbell community. It shows a whole new world where there is no cultural or language barrier. We communicate through music and the emotion we portray through music. The friends that I have made through handbells are something that I will never find anywhere else in the entire world. I only see them once a week for two hours yet I’ve created some of my most closest friends that I truly care about. I will always cherish my time playing handbells and the friends that I have made.
Mio
IMG-20180810-WA0000.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment